Sunday, September 27, 2009

I Be Dazzled










(Want to make something bigger of this drawing, just click it)

Bizarro is brought to you today by the BeDaZzLeR!

As I was sitting in the penthouse suite of Bizarro International Headquarters writing cartoons one day (or, more accurately, trying to come up with a single f-ing idea) I was musing over the classic stranded-on-a-desert-island motif and wondering what would be the absolutely most useless thing that could wash up on such a beach. I hadn't thought of the BDzer in decades, didn't know if they even still made them, but I instantly loved the idea of covering the island with plastic jewels. Voila, a cartoon is born.

So that's the answer to the question that we cartoonists get fairly constantly, "where do you get your ideas?" The answer is "The BeDazzler."

Now that I've divulged the secret, everyone will be doing it.

7 comments:

Ryan Coghlan said...

Love this cartoon and all the desert island ideas you come up with. Have you ever thought about making a poster or vertical panel of all your desert iland themes?? I would definitely hang something like that on my wall!

Anonymous said...

And yes, I'm still seeing that thing in stores. I don't think it'll ever die out. We shall BeDazzled forever...

Unknown said...

Is that a piece of pie over on the right side, just sitting there in the sand?

doug nicodemus said...

i mean i understand the idea but not the application...ha

what the heck is a bedazzler anyway...never heard of it..

i think the idea of you doing posters is a great ...you could draw farah facett

Michael Tallon said...

they have the bedazzler commcercials on cable TV all the time

Piraro said...

@Robin...
Yes, it is. I put little out-of-place objects in almost all of my cartoons. A list of them can be found on Bizarro.com under "symbol secrets."

Unknown said...

Oh, I see. A little special treat for observant readers...