Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cowboyz II Men

















Bizarro is brought to you today by
Cowboys in Tight Pants.

Many readers under a certain age won't recognize "high noon" as the old west cliche that it is, but I can't do anything about that.

When I was a kid in the late 50s and early 60s, most TV shows, movies and toys aimed at boys were about cowboys and the old west. With the advent of the space race and the cold war came the switch to space shows and toys in the mid-60s. Everything has been sci-fi since then it seems, with a bit of fantasy and superheroes thrown in. I'm not complaining, just observing.

A long-winded way of saying that I still like to do cowboy gags. This shot is of me backstage before hosting a Reubens Awards Show a few years ago. All hat, no cattle.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great gags age well:
See "A Fistful of Ugly"
Season One, episode 8 of SCTV.
I couldn't find it on Youtube, but here's an episode description:
http://www.sctvguide.ca/episodes/sctv_s1.htm

Penny Mitchell said...

It used to bother me without ceasing that Miss Kitty had that huge, boofy hairdo, even though it would have been just a BITCH to maintain back in the day. Very historically inaccurate.

It used to bother my Mother even more that I mouthed off about that at least twice a month.

La Framéricaine said...

Hey! You could easily pass for Bat Masterson or the Kevin Kline character in "Silverado!" Great outfit. Hope you have it hung up in your closet under plastic for a future outing.

Love the cartoon by the way. Very topical. Soon cowboys will have to have their people get in touch with one another for a shootout sometime...

Russell Pirkle said...

there's something beautiful about the concept of having only one thing to do per day and only one time at which to schedule to do it

doug nicodemus said...

what about toy story 2 and stinky pete..

Linda said...

Have you ever seen "Dead Man" by Jim Jarmush? Weirdest western I've ever seen, starring Johnny Depp. You might really like it.

Anonymous said...

Hey, whaddaya mean, "No cattle"? I've seen lots of cows in Bizarro.