Monday, August 10, 2009

Sublime Subtraction

Bizarro is brought to you today by Garfield.

I'm a big fan of an online feature called "Garfield minus Garfield." For those who are not familiar with it, it is simply the daily Garfield comic strip with Garfield removed. The effect is sublime. A study in loneliness and insanity.

G-G inspired this cartoon, hence the asterisk. In my humble opinion, while not as clever as G minus G, my cartoon about the musings of a field is every bit as exciting as much of what appears on newspaper comics pages.

Another fun site to check out is The Comics Curmudgeon, in which the erudite author humorously critiques the plot twists of various daily strips, with an emphasis on the old serial classics. Finally, a reason to read Mary Worth and Mark Trail.

If I had the time, I'd start a similar daily blog critiquing the "artwork" in comics. There is so much to talk about each day and it would be a blast. But time is something I have only barely enough of to keep this current miserable effort going, so it will have to wait.

Thanks for taking the time to learn to read and visiting this post. Truly, you are heart cockle warming.

3 comments:

Chriss Pagani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
!nterrobang said...

Dan, one year ago I met you at comic con and left happily with your book. One day ago I read this strip, and just got it now.

Thank you for making me stretch my mind once more.

RSJ said...

This is hilarious, as is G-G.

Reminds me of an artist I knew who, in the era before computers, took a couple of pages from Superman, ran it through a color copier, carefully repainted the background without Superman, and then recopied the pages.

There was much surreal hilarity to be had (of course, I used to smoke pot back then) at the various panels with criminals yelling "Watch out -- it's Superman!" to a blank wall, or Jimmmy Olsen exclaiming "Here's Superman now!" while pointing at a closed door.