Wednesday, September 17, 2008

No Bitch

Today's Bizarro cartoon is brought to you by The Humane Society of the United States.

This is a rare example of a cartoon that I drew for Bizarro but decided not to run. Any time I have an idea that I know will be controversial, I explain it to my editor at King Features and ask him what he thinks. We discuss the pros and cons and I decide whether the risk of losing papers is worth the gag.

In the case of the "Payback" cartoon, we emailed back and forth as usual, but somehow I misunderstood his response. I was certain he said it would be fine and even though I was shocked by his opinion, I drew it up, colored it, formatted it for panel and strip, and sent it in. He called immediately, asking if I was pulling their collective leg.

My first instinct was right, this joke is way too racy for the funny pages, so we pulled it at the last minute and ran an old cartoon in its place. It's still a great joke, though, in my humble opinion, so I'm sharing it with you here.

My biggest regret about this joke is that I didn't write it. It came pretty much verbatim from my wacky friend Derek, who is a regular commenter on this blog. A surprising number of great cartoons are not written by the person who draws them and makes them famous, but most cartoonists are loathe to admit it. So if I don't get points for this gag, at least maybe I can grab a point or two for honesty.

By the way, Payback was later neutered, which is the responsible thing for any good pet guardian to do.

Another cartoon that I missed posting while I was out of town is this one about a wedding. If you don't immediately get it, try reading the preacher's words out loud, in the same rhythm as the traditional, "...for richer or for poorer."

The best thing about this gag was that I got an email from a woman named Dora who lives across the street from a man named Richard. She said her whole neighborhood was wondering if I was talking about them. I couldn't resist telling her she had caught me, that I lived down the street and had noticed the sparks between them and thought I'd give them a little nudge.

It's a bizarre world.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Written AND visually conceived by Derek, Piraro. Don't discount the importance of the composition. You merely redrew the Derek's comic in your own style.

Anonymous said...

But it is clever, Derek.

isee3dtoo said...

Payback is by far the best laugh I have had for a long time. That is great, I might have to order the T-Shirt.

isee3dtoo said...

I am amazed you refrained from "licking his testicles" with payback. But that is so obvious.

L. Erskine said...

Perfect timing. I made mention of the "unpublished" cartoons in the picture post I made last night. Now I can link to one. :)

I got better pictures of Michael and Johnny than I did you. The black backdrop left behind you for the projector sucked up all the light so I couldn't use my zoom (i think it's rude to use flash when someone is performing).

I post processed just the jumping pix and the one of you. I did take others. If you want them, I can send them to you. I just chose the one that would be most entertaining for the few viewers I've got (which i found out last night is like a crappy version of a picture you've got on your website).

http://outofocus.livejournal.com/153846.html

Mike Duffau said...

i dig the payback cartoon, champ!

HollyBerry said...

no, it's a bizarro world.

this one was very funny. regardless of who thought of it, drew it, read it, laughed at it, defacated on it... it's funny. and two bonus points to you for being honest.

derekamalo said...

thank you friend i wrote earlier hoping you would post it which i knew you would so thanks...
thanks also for the recognition and getting my best shot on the photo....

dan dan dan your making it sound like writing every gag on your own from 1986 to 2007 meant nothing ..lol

doug nicodemus said...

the first on is a hit out of the park.

HAHAHAHAHA

see i wish you would do more of that...because i am betting that the stuff they don't like is funnier than all get out. they probably be in a book for sale. so when they reject one you could talk about your profits going up.

Dave said...

I really enjoyed these Bizarros. Keep up the great work!

Penny Mitchell said...

I thought it was a statement on starting marriage in debt because of today's circus-like weddings, but your explanation is way funnier.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you put that up here. funniest thing all day.

Unknown said...

Yeah, this one definitely needs to be on a T-shirt.

MQM said...

Hi, Piraro -
Got here via JCDuffy. The Payback cartoon cracked me up big time. Thanks.
MQM

Mike said...

Yeah, I agree, the payback cartoon is boss.