Sunday, July 4, 2010

Weird and Wonderful











(Click on the cartoon for a larger, prettier version)

Bizarro is brought to you today by The Cast of "Wicked".

Every now and then a cartoon pops into my head and I instantly know it's good. I usually smile and jot it down quickly then take the rest of the day off drinking champagne on my yacht off the coast of Monaco. This was such a cartoon. The theme and caption are so ripe, so low-hanging that I still can't believe something like this one hasn't been done before. It probably has.

Someone wrote to me and asked if I was referring to a specific politician or circumstance, but of course I was not. This cartoon says a lot about most of the people who get into politics, especially at the upper levels. Not all, mind you, but the overwhelming majority (in my opinion). If you have a favorite politician that you really believe in, just tell yourself I'm not referring to him or her.

On another topic, yesterday I was driving through Manhattan and saw a woman crossing the street about a half block ahead. She was about 5' 3", thin, and was wearing a lime green, tight-fitting, sleeveless, short-shorts-jumpsuit sort of thing. Kind of like a one-piece swimsuit. She had a bright yellow, wide belt and was carrying a bright pink purse which matched her high heel shoes. The sides of her head were shaved bald with a patch of hair on top like a beret, which had been died the same bright yellow as her belt. She also had quite a few earrings. At first I thought, "There's an unusual looking young woman," but when I passed her I saw that she was likely in her 70s. (A glimpse of CHNW's future?)

I love that about New York. If I hadn't been riding my motorcycle, I would have whipped out my phone and grabbed a picture.

Have a dandy holiday weekend, American readers.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Without a camera, I wonder if there were some other way to recreate the image? Hmmm... how could it go from your brain to the digital goodness we all know and love on the Inter-webs? Sorry to suggest more work for a talented and already overworked artist. :-)

doug nicodemus said...

sometimes the wizard strikes

DARG said...

Epic! Dan, I really love your work :)

Cecilie said...

Was it the lady seen in these two pictures, perchance?

http://poorlydressed.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/cbeab7fe-2eb6-48fb-b61d-b8bb9682d374.jpg

http://poorlydressed.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/193807f8-ca83-486c-9bef-9ce7fba6d2f8.jpg

June said...

This is one of your finest and you are rightfully proud of its perfection. I put it on my frig to remind me why you can't make up the stuff that goes on in DC.

Piraro said...

@Cecelie...Not her, but she is equally fantastic. The one I saw looked like a teenager until you got close enough to see her face.

DARG said...

Alas where has Dan gone? I miss my daily Bizarros.

Dmanww said...

The this is, they did

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_interpretations_of_The_Wonderful_Wizard_of_Oz#cite_note-18

Marco said...

Ha,ha! Very sharp. How come it didn't occur to me? Keep up the good work.

Rarian Rakista said...

As someone who bikes to work and has to breathe in all the fumes from the a-holes who drive to work, it would be nice not to have to walk through a wall of smoke in the morning downtown as everyone wakes up and immediately lights up their morning cigarette. If you want to smoke, by all means smoke indoors as I would like to be able to breathe outdoors.

This reminds me of my old downstairs neighbor who would go out on his porch and smoke cheap grape cigars all summer long. I was unable to open my windows or my whole house would smell like my house had been haunted by The Great Grape Ape burnt ashes from his funeral pyre. It cost me nearly 200 dollars a month running air/conditioners for 4 months a year but this year he died so not I can open my windows during the summer again.