Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Dog God Monkey Gay

Bizarro is brought to you today by Bad Parents.

Parents aren't supposed to have favorites, but of these three cartoons, I like the personal masseuse one best. I thought of this while walking through Times Square recently when an organ grinder's monkey jumped on my back and began searching my pockets for valuables. He eventually found my wallet and opened it, but after finding nothing more valuable in it than an old bus pass, he threw it down and moved on to the next passerby. This kind of scenario is one reason I don't carry valuables. The other is that I don't have any.

My next offering is about a plant who is tired of watching "Golden Girls" reruns. For my readers who are either not acquainted with trends in the gay community or who think that homosexuality is an abomination unto the lord and don't associate with them, "Golden Girls" is an immensely popular series among American gays. Maybe elsewhere, too. Something about Bea Arthur sends them into squeals of joy. I like Bea Arthur too, although I strongly suspect I am not gay.

Finally, we have the atheist Boston Terrier. I got a lot of mail about this one, but none was from angry theists, as I suspected I might. Instead, it was all from readers who couldn't figure out what it meant. (Perhaps another reason Bizarro did poorly on a comics poll in Kansas City and subsequently canceled? Missouri is the "Show Me State" after all.) Most of them were trying to make "Boston Terrier" spell something backwards when in fact, I was just going for "dog". I chose a BT randomly, because I like to draw them. My bad, should have had the mutt on the left deliver the line.

Enjoy the rest of your Tuesday. You are always on my mind.

6 comments:

Ray-Mel Cornelius said...

Maybe you didn't get any angry mail from atheists because they have a better tuned sense of humor than some other generalized groups we could mention.
Maybe.

Jan said...

Those of us in KC who got the joke miss Bizarro! Show Me the blog ...

Betty White Fan said...

I'm glad we read Bizarroblog... we weren't paying close attention when we looked at this cartoon last week, and my partner and I (yes, we are gay) didn't notice that it portrayed a gay couple. Somehow the character on the right looked female at first glance. Anyhow, we enjoy the show, but it's Betty White that sends us into squeals of joy. She's the nice grandmother who bakes cookies and spoils you when you're at her house.

Anonymous said...

This cartoon gives an entirely new meaning to "Shut Up, Rose!"

Amber Avines said...

I totally got this without even thinking about it twice. If you're a dog lover, you know the DOG > GOD thing from an early age!

We're with ya! Bow wow and woof!

maria said...

Understood the dog/god joke, love it! Didn't quite understand the Golden Girls because I didn't pick up on the guys being gay. I wasn't thrilled with the personal masseuse for two reasons: 1) the term masseuse is passe', the proper terminology now is massage therapist; 2)I am a massage therapist and the cartoon looks like the MT is groping the man which feeds the illicit stereotype of our profession that legitimate MT's work daily to dispel.