Saturday, July 10, 2010

Penguin Camouflage

Bizarro is brought to you today by Casual Chic.

A lot of people liked this pirate cartoon and I do too. Penguins are inherently funny and sitting on the shoulder of a bad ass makes them even funnier. Just my opinion, no angry comments, please.

The Sunday cartoon below if from July 4th weekend. It isn't really meant to be particularly patriotic or anything, I just happened to think of it when I needed a cartoon to run on July 4th. Here in NYC, we have camouflaged soldiers walking through subway stations and airports keeping an eye out for terrorists or whatever. It often occurs to me that in urban settings such as this, traditional camouflage performs the opposite function from what it was intended. They might as well be wearing garish clown suits or foam rubber mascot costumes.

Of course, they're not really trying to disappear in those situations so the whole argument makes no sense. I just wanted an excuse to mention foam rubber mascot costumes. Gosh, those things are great.

8 comments:

ANDROID said...

I would like to throw some love your way for drawing those guns so well. I know its silly to mention, but when I draw cartoons, my gun drawing always come out rubbery looking. Great draftsmanship!

John R. Platt said...

That may be one of my all-time favorite Bizarro cartoons.

DARG said...

Hi Dan,

How can you draw every day?

Dan

Unknown said...

I wonder if you would think foam rubber mascot costumes were so awesome if you had to wear one all the time...

Is camouflage really camouflage if you're not hiding? Also, putting a soldier in a mascot costume at a public even might be a decent hiding place. When guns start flying, would you expect Mr. Met to pull out his own machine gun and shoot back?

Andrea said...

Dan,
Pirates at a Formal is AWESOME! :)
~Andrea

Anonymous said...

Dan -- Have you ever been on the cover of Cigar Aficionado? You should be.

Marco said...

Just brilliant!

LaLaOrange said...

You are so brilliant. I loved the camouflages.