Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Saints & Thinkers

Bizarro is brought to you by Zen Dudes.

This first cartoon is fun for me because it has that circuitous philosophical reasoning that I enjoy. Since thinking is what humans do best we have spent a lot of time thinking about things that don't have a lot of practical value. Like the famous question of whether any noise is made if a tree falls in the forest and there are no ears to hear it. Or, my favorite rewrite of that same query: If a man says something in a forest and there is no woman to correct him, is he still wrong?

Since I've posted less frequently in recent days, here are a couple more cartoons for your amusement.

Here I have written a cartoon from my own experience, more or less. CHNW and I are selling our place in Brooklyn in the fall and I'm worried about it. One thing I'm worried about is that there is a huge, noisy, filthy construction project across the street that makes most days here fairly miserable. Our real estate agent recommended we not put the place up for sale until the building is finished, which is scheduled to be later this summer. God, I hope so. The guy who owns that property and the one next door (which is now a four-story apartment building) both of which were vacant lots when we bought our place six years ago, has been building things for the past five years, non stop. (If that last sentence is confusing, it is because they've been jackhammering the street outside my window for the past two days.) Is there any legal precedent for compensation for noise and filth of this sort?

Our third cartoon today is just a bit of oddball fun for no particular reason. I named the character Cliff after a good friend. Though he looks nothing like this and does not to my knowledge stand directly in front of the sun, he does have a habit of appearing saintly. He's just a nice guy, though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan, on that last one you put a "1" at the top, but there are two easter eggs; the slice o' pie and the alien. Woohoo, I win... nothing.

Love your stuff, have your App.

DARG said...

Yey thanks for the new comics :)

"since thinking is what humans do best"

Errr....

Melissa said...

Dan, you are AWESOME. Congratulations on your richly deserved Reuben Award!

ojeano said...

Zen Dudes - I had to sit with that one a day before I could get my mind around it and now I just looked at again and am not quite sure I have... a conundrum to love, oh and to desire.

Best wishes for selling your home. I agree with the realtor that waiting for the noise to die down is wise. A friend of mine was looking for a house and we followed the listings to one next to the rock crushing plant (seriously). As iFFF!

ojeano said...

PS: I said "Zen Dudes" but I was referring to your cartoon "Saints & Thinkers." Hopefully it wasn't some kind of Freudian slip.