Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Black Kansas City Tuesday

Bizarro is brought to you today by Roll Models.

A couple of readers just emailed me today to tell me that The Kansas City Star canceled Bizarro. This cuts me deep, my friends. If it's true, that is. Sometimes a paper will move my cartoon or change it from a panel to a strip, or vice versa, and readers just assume it is missing.

But if you're within arm's reach of a KC Star, please have a gander and see if Bizarro is absent and if so, write, email, or call them and express your loss of a reason to live. If you're calling from a payphone, threaten to take hostages – just make sure you get off the phone before they can trace the call and don't actually take any hostages.

I was born in Kansas City and my parents were born and raised there, as were many of my other relatives who still reside within its city limits. How can they do this to a native son? Was it something I said? Was it the atheist dog cartoon from yesterday? Was it my family's Mafia connections back in the 1920s?

I don't mean to put too much emphasis on this personal tragedy, but I shall wear black and refuse to cut my hair until Bizarro is reinstated in my hometown newspaper. Or until I get tired of wearing black and I begin to look like a homeless guy, whichever comes first. I encourage all of you across the globe to do the same. If we show our solidarity, we can beat this thing. Or at least start a Cure tribute band.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

It shall be done. I will take a look asap and let them know if they need to print my obituary next week.

Allan Koay said...

is there something in the water there? my favourite cartoonist is from Kansas. my favourite guitarist/musician is from Kansas (Pat Metheny). why are you all so talented???

Jo Tyler said...

Hmmmm. Political pressure from the steak makers? Too bad...their loss!

monsterzero said...

hey dan -
any chance you'll be at comic-con this year (this week)?
i'm getting ready to go tomorrow (and the next 3 days). dunno why really. ain't sellin' nothing this year. and i'm getting too damn old to put up with the friggin' massive crowds!
but the kids love it. bless their little hearts.
anyway, hope you'll be going.
sorry to hear 'bout your loss. still… it's "better than being mel gibson!" (i'm gonna try and make this the catch-phrase of the year!)

puzzledtarheel said...

This cartoon puzzled us when it was published last week. I assumed that it was intended as a jibe at "crackers" (in the sense of disreputable characters, especially southerners), since "Polly want a" is normally followed by "cracker". My partner, on the other hand, thinks this interpretation is absurd and the cartoon has nothing to do with "crackers". A dinner bet is riding on the answer to this...

DARG said...

The atrocity!

Dimension Skipper said...

I have any idea really, but I'm assuming the comics which automatically appear on the KC* comics page are the ones they carry in their actual paper. If that's the case, well, Bizarro is not one of those that shows up.

A link to Bizarro is shown in the more complete list at the top of the page, but that link simply leads to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer Bizarro.

So maybe if many, many folks go the KC* comics page and click through to SP-I it might get someone's attention? Ya never know. But mostly those sorts of things fon't work. Sorry.

Piraro said...

@monsterzero...
not going to ComicCon this year. I tend not to go unless I've got some new book or something to pimp. It's fascinating, but a little of it goes a long way with me.
Which reminds me, I TOTALLY meant to pimp your Zombie Portraits and it slipped through the cracks! My apologies! I'm going to do it today, promise!
@puzzledtarheel...
It was meant to just be nonsensical version of the age-old parrot cliche, but I must say, I like your hidden "cracker" insult much better! Wish I'd though of that. In fact, a terrific line for the same picture would have been, "Polly got a cracker."

Jason said...

Can you both beat this travesty and start a Cure tribute band? Because that would be awesome.