Monday, February 2, 2009

Potato Prophecies

Bizarro is brought to you today by Strange Bedfellows.

This cartoon is significant for two reasons:

1. The crux of the idea came from a cartoon sent to me by
my e-friend, Derek, who went off on one of his rare diatribes in the comments section of this blog yesterday.
2. During the Super Bowl yesterday, there was a commercial featuring Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.

Coincidence? Tom Cruise would say not.

Mr. Potato Head is a rich source of humor for cartoonists. Personally, my favorite aspect of the tuber folk is their detachable parts. I wonder if anyone has ever manufactured genitalia for the Potato Head line. I was careful when drawing this cartoon, for instance, to be sure the "lips" looked like a mouth. Although a plastic vagina would have been so much funnier.

When I was a kid back in the mid-1900s, we used real potatoes with these parts. It gives you far more creative options for placement when you don't have to rely on the pre-drilled holes. We also used to bring other vegetables into the storyline, dramatizing attacks from gangs of sideshow freaks or aliens from outer space.

As I write this, it occurs to me that the Potato Head line is missing a whole slew of opportunities for potato prosthetics. How about a mythology line with horns, cyclops eye, wings, animal appendages? Or a horror line with fangs, claws, melting facial features, a bloody gash. And why stop with potatoes? The cast of Broadway's "Cats" could be done with fruits. A Mr. Pumpkin Head line that looks like Rush Limbaugh seems like a natural for Right Wing kids in the Bible Belt.

Which brings to mind Bible-themed Potato Head toys. What fruit or veggy would Jesus be?

12 comments:

derekamalo said...

thanks dan im losing my blog privilleges for a month ..

i just figured with my pepere in all the relationship was over

for those interested my original joke was a guy had lips stuck to his face and the lady said been with mrs potato head again i knew the adhesive would work


so as you can see i like dans better and the lips are drawn well

thanks

now back to business..wednesday

ldisme said...

Dear Dan,
Your cartoons and commenters are bizarre.
Signed~
Ms Oblivious

P.L. Frederick said...

A kiwi, because of the hair.

Unknown said...

You could leave a potato in the cupboard for a few months and have a Medusa.

isee3dtoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
isee3dtoo said...

I am stealing Shipping Trolls idea and turning it into a Bizarro.

Two Mr. Potato Head archeologist open The Medusa Cupboard in Ancient Greece to find the fabled Medusa Potato.

How many votes do I have for Dan to turn this idea into a cartoon?

Garrett Williams said...

As Jesus held the wine up, he said, "This is my blood..."

Jesus is a grape. Plain & simple.

Anonymous said...

What a great post ... but I'm both laughing and speechless.

HMack said...

I hope that isn't real fur on that artificial vagina. THAT would be gross.

Piraro said...

RE:the medusa cartoon...
While working on this post yesterday I came up with a cartoon idea about this very thing. I may use it in the coming months, or opt for the one outlined by isee3dtoo. Thanks for the input.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the plastic vagina, at least it's a sort of truth in advertising. The ad shows, right next to the, um, thing, a guy whose palm is covered with hair. So you see, your Boy Scout leader wasn't really lying.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.. I most definitely read a couple of articles about this topic and it brings me back down memory lane :)

The question that I ask myself is what caused something like this to happen or be written??