Monday, February 23, 2009

Impossible World

Bizarro is brought to you today by Eat My Friends!

Here's a simple visual gag that has no deeper meaning and nothing to do with anything. Sometimes a bit of simple surrealism is good for you. It's not brilliant, but it's a smile.

What's fun about cartoons like this is that as often as not, someone will write to me in all seriousness and say something like, "I love Bizarro but I don't get today's cartoon. Is there something I'm missing? How could the prisoners dig their way to another planet?"

I never mind people asking for clarification on a cartoon and their confusion is often warranted because my cartoon was nebulous. So I'm nice to anyone who writes (unless they are being an a**hole). When someone asks a question like my hypothetical one above, I still respond politely but I admit that I laugh before I type.
And sometimes I call CHNW in from the other room to laugh with me.
And sometimes a few friends from the neighborhood.
Only on rare occasions have I posted the letter on YouTube in a video in which I appear with phony buck teeth and a fright wig, pretending to be the person who wrote the letter.

Usually I just politely explain that it's supposed to be impossible, and therein lies the humor. Or what I mistook for humor when I wrote it.

Other sorts of letters I sometimes get will be from somebody like a meteorologist who feels it his duty to point out that the earth I have drawn in the background has no clouds on the entire hemisphere shown, which is statistically impossible. For readers like this, I send my special Bizarro Anthrax Gift Basket.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, I've been waiting for you to post this one here since I first saw it.

This is a friggin' classic! And while I would never deign to explain it to those clueless little innocents, it does my heart some kind of good to know they are out there. That knowledge leaves me with some sort of sense of snuggly smug superiority.

derekamalo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeremy said...

Well, crud, I assumed they had dug up into the set that was created for the assumed fake moon landing...

I don't believe the moon landing was faked, but I know a lot of people do and I thought you were poking some sort of fun at them.

Karl said...

Being an armchair psychoanalyst, I must admit this cartoon took a while to figure out. Fortunately, after some real brain twisting (cerebellum now permanently fused to frontal lobe) I can share with you the deeper message relayed here.

We're all prisoners of our own minds, limited only by creative imagination.

Or maybe it's just funny.

SAYOTTE316 said...

She's a "rich."

Geronimo D. Bull said...

Have to say I love this one. However there is a grammatical issue going on here. Either:

I told you, we've been digging too long

or:

I told you we'd been digging too long

I would like the largest bizarro anthrax gift basket you have.

doug nicodemus said...

it's a smile it's true

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha. Because he dug a hole so far it went to the moon! Damn, that is lame.