Thursday, February 5, 2009

Comedy and Cake

Bizarro is brought to you today by Oprah.

My mysterious e-friend, Derek, has been sending me some fun ideas lately, and here's another one. Though I get pun suggestions from readers daily and turn down the overwhelming majority of them, sometimes there is one that when combined with a fun pic is worthwhile. (In my opinion. Some commentators on this blog will doubtless disagree.)

I also do cartoons for Parade Magazine and I had originally submitted this one to them. They wanted to use it but didn't get back to me quickly enough and I used it for Bizarro instead because of an looming deadline.

It's been a while since I've posted any of my Parade cartoons, so here are a few to point your eyeballs at.

This is as close to an animal rights message as I'll likely ever get into Parade Magazine. And, of course, only a person who is already familiar with the movement would see it as such.

Even when I was still consuming dairy products, I wondered why I found bovine milk acceptable when I knew full well that a glass of dog milk, or even an anonymous human's milk would turn my stomach. Human milk would certainly be better suited to our bodies – designed specifically for it, in fact – but I suspect a rack (pun intended) of commercially packaged human milk from anonymous donors would not sell well in the local grocery store.

I thought this was a fun gag. Unlike most of my work, it is a simple concept without a paragraph or more of dialogue and a tag line at the bottom. Most of the other cartoonists in Parade opt for the borderless image with the spoken line printed in quotes beneath the picture. I still prefer to box it in and letter the captions myself. Maybe I'm just a control freak.






And here is what my Parade cartoons look like in the paper, wedged between "Howard Huge" and an ad about foot fungus or something. As you can see, Parade is one of those magazines that takes the artist's signature off and prints it in the margin instead. I've never cared for that style, but what are you going to do? A person making a living as a cartoonist is luckier than the average lottery winner, so you don't complain about where or how you're being published.

The other half of that equation is that I wouldn't have a career without you, the reader. That may sound corny, but that's only because it is corny. But it's still true. Thanks for reading.

P.S. The links to cake pics that are featured today came from this amazingly amusing blog:
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

18 comments:

derekamalo said...

Howard huge is about as funny as Speed bump which is about as funny as gallagher....zero

JohnM said...

Dan,
Don't you mean you wouldn't have a career WITHOUT us, the readers?

fourstar71 said...

Ahem. This did make me chuckle as Parade Magazine is a bit different in the UK [NSFW]
Parade

Anonymous said...

Where did you find that cake with the deer-hoof shoe in front of it?? I must have a pair of those shoes! No, I don't think putting them on and clicking the heels, er, dewclaws, together would get me back to Kansas, but how often does an ordinary guy like me have a chance to own the Ugliest Awfullest Things Ever Created By The Hand of Man?

Jeremy said...

Fourstar,

Yet another thing that is much better in England!

doug nicodemus said...

that first one is so funny..and you would still be funny old you without us...a little poorer (is that a word?) but still funny old you..

SAYOTTE316 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shoshanah Marohn said...

I'm glad you credited "cakewrecks" at the end! That's the other blog I read every day. I have occasionally laughed until I cried, reading cakewrecks. Which isn't to say you suck, or anything...

isee3dtoo said...

The manly-man cake is a reference to Anonymous; Dan finally gets his dig in. ;-)

Lorie said...

I've always found the consumption of cow's milk over other species weird. Why? I guess it is just another by-product of the beef industry. They can sell the always pregnant dairy cows progeny as veal? Love Parade. Pepere virgin ass still in heavy rotation? Why as well?

Karl said...

Aha! So finally the truth is revealed. It wasn't an asteroid, but King Kong filling his stomp collection, who was responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Peaches said...

The stomp collection make me laugh out loud to myself for at least 3o seconds. Thank-you.

Sarthak said...

wow ! all the three are just too good ! especially the 'cheese' one and the super-hero one as well !

Piraro said...

@John...thanks for the correction, I fixed it.

@fourstar...I forgot about that. Thanks for the humorous reminder. I'd sell cartoons to them, too. I'm not picky.

Daniel Joseph Sardella said...

it would have been ironic if the hidden "k2" symbol in the stomp comic had been on the mountains in the background, yes?

Penny Mitchell said...

The "Simpsons" episode where the mob was selling rat milk to the school touches on this same idea...it's utterly repugnant to think of drinking rat milk, but milk from another animal is okay.

We're a weird species.

Matt Groening is a vegetarian who often puts references to the veggie lifestyle into his work. I love you both for it!

HollyBerry said...

did you read that PETA wants ben&jerry's to use human breast milk in their ice-cream? if not, here's an article. i drink organic milk (though i know it perpetuates the terrible practice of commercially produced cattle and i'm not exactly "helping") but just thinking about using milk from other animals (goats, humans, dogs) makes me wonder... obviously human milk is best for >>duh!<< humans and so on, and i wouldn't be 100% against drinking human breast milk... i hear it's quite sweet! but it's full of growth hormones and nutrients for growing babies, not so much for adults to continue drinking throughout their lifetime because our bodies require different nutrients at different stages of life. oh also- something unrelated-- i watched this documentary the other day called "king corn" that was very interesting and i think you that you would really enjoy it. it's about corn (you may have guessed) and the role it plays in our diets today. anyway, didn't mean to make my comment this long. have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

"I get pun suggestions from readers daily and turn down the overwhelming majority of them, sometimes there is one that when combined with a fun pic is worthwhile."

Let's not sit here and try to pretend that you don't cop out and write lazy pun comics a vast majority of the time, regardless of however many are "submitted" to you.