Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Aerial Magic

Today's Bizarro is brought to you by Invisible Planes Aerial Advertising Co.

Since I was a kid, I've always found skywriting and aerial banners fascinating. Especially skywriting – to this day I don't know how a pilot can figure out what he/she is doing when he/she can't step back and look at his/her work. (When are we going to come up with a permanent solution to the non-gender-specific pronoun for situations like this? Personally, I'd be happy to use "it," but then there would people who would be all like, "I'm not an "it"! God made me in His image. Is God an "it"?!" And I'd be all like, "Whatever, dude.")

Here is an unusual aerial banner that I just found. Who spends the money on a message like this? It's got some humor and shock value, but what's the point? There's no arguing that some people misuse Jesus, but it certainly isn't his fault. I see this as misplaced aggression. And what if Jesus had taken it seriously and objected?

Here is another one pulled by an invisible airplane. Clearly, this banner is the answer to a question, but what question? Who gave me herpes?

Here's another example of one that doesn't seem to be advertising anything. And where did they find this giant kid? Wish I'd seen this in person.

This shot is of a normal-sized child pulling a banner, but he can't seem to get off the ground. I have no interest in seeing this one in person.

A less expensive option if you can't afford a plane is this one, where you just wait for people to drive by and read the banner for themselves.

I hope you've enjoyed this exploration of the exciting world of aerial banners.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this a "Classic Bizarro"?

Ben said...

http://torontoist.com/2008/07/what_jesus_wouldnt_do.php

For the back story on the Jesus banner.

Lorie said...

In San Diego, they recently imposed a booze ban on the beaches, to be voted on this November. All summer long the planes flew over the beaches, trailing "Cold, Refreshing Coors Light" banners, and other assorted alcoholic yummies, complete with pictures of the frosty cold, sweating cans and bottles. My feelings aside regarding banning booze on our beaches, that was just plain cruel.

Anonymous said...

I've seen a number of people use "sie" (for she/he) and "hir" (for his/her) in non-gendered-accepting communities online. I find those to work as well as any.

Daniel Joseph Sardella said...

Dan, etc.-

You may find this amusing/interesting/fascinating/awesome/etc.

-Dan

bashzog said...

I often use "hizzer" and "himmer" - they work well, and don't have to be explained.

Brad Reid said...

I've been using "they" and ""them" for years. I've spoken about in university grammar classes and used it in papers without any of the profs questioning me on the matter whatsoever.

FIDO said...

Anonymous

i heard you wanted to classic bizarro my peperes anus!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is correct, sayott- er, fido.

isee3dtoo said...

I can't stand he/she. I also can't stand the line "Female applicants are encouraged to apply". I think we should always hire the best person for the job and screw race and gender. However, short people should not apply but maybe because I am biased since I have hit my head on the over head plumbing that we have on the way to the men's room. Maybe tall people should not apply.

However, I digress above. Have you wondered how they pick up the banner's? Kind of cool -- check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMSN3U1juaE for more...

FIDO said...

anonymous is a loser!!

Penny Mitchell said...

Aerial banners always bum me out...they make me think of an insanely complicated and expensive marriage proposal that was accepted by a friend of mine. They are now one of the unhappiest couples I've ever witnessed. Blarh.

Thanks for offering a way more amusing take on the whole thing!!!!

isee3dtoo said...

I have a problem with today's 10/28/04 cartoon.

Are those Republicans or Democrats in the cartoon? If it didn't have an iPod as a choice it could be a classic dating back some 20 years and recycled every four years for either party. I think the Simpson's are about 20 years old.

Ezanee said...

Dude I don't know why, but this particular Bizarro strip really made me laugh out loud. It has one of those classic sketch comedy vibes going for it. Thanks for the enjoyment, Dan! Take care everybody.

Piraro said...

isee3dtoo,
the cartoon you're referring to is a comment on Palin, of course. There have often been lame and gratuitous choices for VP, I agree, but none as irresponsible as this one. Quayle is the only one who comes close in recent history, I think.

isee3dtoo said...

Dan:

I know who are referring to. I think the VP position is just a waste of thought theses days. In Palin's selection the RNC is pandering to women and are hoping McCain dies so they have a puppet to pull the strings on if she became President.

JohnM said...

Hate to be a bummer, but was "unconscious" supposed to be misspelled as part of the joke?

Jed said...

I used to use a gender-neutral Chinese pronoun, "ta". But then I saw that the Chicago Manual of Style, 14th edition, recommended the singular "they," so I started using that.

Chicago backed down; 15th edition says to rephrase to avoid gendered pronouns. But I still advocate "they." It turns out to have a long history; for example, Jane Austen used it. And it's often what people use in casual speech if they don't stop to think about it. It generally sounds and looks pretty natural.