Monday, May 18, 2009

Lion All The Time

Bizarro is brought to you by Animal Planet.

This simple but highly effective pun came from the nobby noggin of my good friend, Cliff, a former pediatrician who now teaches Stanford med students how to intimidate children into remaining still while a stranger jabs them with a long needle.

Cliff is a funny guy with an unusual ability with language. He and I have been collaborating on a sort of comic book written in puzzle form. Cliff writes the puzzles, I do the drawings. It's a metric buttload of work and unless it sells a frillion copies I'll never see much money from it. But such is a life in the arts.

Once published, I am hoping each of my three fans will buy a third of a frillion copies so Cliff and I can eventually be paid for our time. Thank you in advance for your help.

Here is a sneak peak at an illustration from the book, with the puzzle removed. We don't want anyone stealing our mojo. To enlarge it, click the thumb of the cowboy at left.

12 comments:

sheer.nothingness said...

I like the illustration style in the comic for the new book. I'd imagine it's a relief to switch styles sometimes.

Planet of the apes star wars? If it weren't so small, I'd have a new desktop wallpaper.

Unknown said...

Is it just a coincidence that the ape on the bus stop bench is across the way from Randy's Donuts, or did you pick that picture just for that reason?

Prospero said...

Get yer paws off me, you damned dirty ape!

Craig Zablo said...

"Catch the game last night?"

Now THAT is a classic! [Or will become one...]

isee3dtoo said...

This past weekend I had to put my faculty regalia on and march in two graduation ceremonies. We, the faculty, walk in after the students and I was envisioning how much more enjoyable to all it would have been if we came in dressed as apes from the "Planet of the Apes" and were going "oh uh ah ah" as we marched.

Anonymous said...

Puzzle book sounds interesting. I may just have to buy...

Wait... how many zeros in a frillion, again?

I-see said...

Note that the shop with the large doughnut on top appears again in the photo from the "Animal Planet" link in this blog. It is above the bike rider on the right. Must be some kind of subliminal advertising for the earlier doughnut shop joke.

Piraro said...

Randy's Donuts in the background is coincidental. This b/w photo of the bus stop was taken by a guy who was around during the filming of the original and took a lot of behind-the-scenes pics. Just found it randomly on the Interwebs. Apparently, he had a show of these photos in Paris at some point.

doug nicodemus said...

hahahahaha

isee3dtoo said...

Missing Caption:

Waiter: Your usually pickled spinach?

Sailor: And a beer for this hangover!

Waldo said...

Can I get the book on tape?

Anonymous said...

U sir, are genius!! Your comic and Tundra give the most reliable humor of all the comics in our local paper... Thank You Evermore!