Monday, July 14, 2008

Bird Food

Bizarro is made possible by millions of years of evolution.

My biggest problem with this cartoon was making the pigeons look huge. It's very difficult to do that if you don't have something of a known size to compare them to. Since this is prehistoric, the only reference I felt I could logically give are trees, but they could also be small, tree-shaped plants.

I consider this cartoon a failure because I missed the obvious answer, which would have immediately both driven the joke home and made it much funnier: that rodent in the bird's mouth should have been a tiny caveman.

Sometimes, I surprise even myself with my dumbassness.

7 comments:

C.J. Pitchford said...

Sometimes, it just hits ya.

Other times, you can hit back!

Okay, so your dumb@ssness is the equivalent of more than half the populations' epiphanies.

Play nice in there, and thanks for your comic -- perfecteded or not!

Mel2 said...

I can't count the number of times I thought of the perfect punch line 11 hours after I needed it. Your work is brilliant. Don't tear yourself down over it.

doug nicodemus said...

i did wonder a little bit about this one but heh being funny every time is tough...not for the faint of heart...keep up the good work!

kerrikoo said...

I thought the trees were way off in the distance..

But honestly... you are much too critical of your work... but then again.. I guess that's why you are so good.. always critiquing yourself..

Anonymous said...

Those are rodents?

LOL - I thought they WERE tiny people!!

So this cartoon worked with me.

LeRoy

HollyBerry said...

an artist is his own worst critic..

and just remember-- marmaduke comics are NEVER funny, so if one of yours slips through the cracks you shouldn't worry about it too much.

Anonymous said...

Nothing that contains pigeons can be a failure. I love this cartoon anyway!!