Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Que Sero Sero

Bizarro is brought to you today by Clean Skin.

As longtime readers of this blog know, I suffer from chronic depression. My whole family does, except for my younger brother, whom the rest of us killed during Christmas dinner a few years ago. We just couldn't stand all that damned jolliness.

For those of you who are not biologically inclined, serotonin is the crap in your brain that makes you happy. So in medical terms, if you don't have enough of it or the spigot that connects to your serotonin vat is clogged, you get depressed for seemingly no reason. That's why antidepressants were invented. Not really to make everyone happy, just those of us with a rusty vat faucet, and not happy all the time, just normal most of the time.

They work pretty well for me, with a few side effects, all of which are more tolerable than feeling like the world is coming to an end in the next few minutes for no discernible reason.

I envy people with a lot of natural serotonin. Envy is a vast improvement over what I used to feel for them, which was contempt and deep, deep hatred. With the help of antidepressants and meditation, I've found that I'm actually a happy, easygoing person trapped in the body of an *sshole. (Thank goodness I can afford my pills. Lots of people can't, but helping them pay for it would turn this country into Russia and we can't have that.)

No need to leave encouraging comments or send consoling emails, I'm fine now and enjoying life as much as the next guy. And he's got easy access to an average amount of serotonin.

Until next time...even a journey of 1000 miles begins with several frustrating hours on the Internet looking for the cheapest flights that leave at a decent hour and don't have a layover in Atlanta.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in the same boat as you, Dan. I need to take an SSRI daily to keep in a good mood.

La Framéricaine said...

Glad to hear the meds are working like they should. Sorry to hear about your dead brother but it's understandable. I hate relentless cheeriness. Thank gawd it's not practiced with any zealousness in France. That's why I chose it as the site of my slide into an eventual death of my own--the opportunity to live the last years of my life free from any admonition to "think positively" or "buck up!"

I come from a long line of dead depressives myself. Sounds like all yours are living, except your brother, of course.

Unknown said...

любимы сталин-счастье народное = "People love Stalin, it is happiness", or something to that effect. In case you didn't know for sure what it said. One thing I have learned is that there are many translations for the same few words!

Zoe D said...

Ha. Major depressive disorder runs in my family, too, and I'm one of the unfortunate slobs who can't afford the stupid pills. Generics are generally affordable, unless you're super-poor. I'm super-poor for the time being. Count your lucky, serotonin-kissed stars. Jeez, I sound bitter. I need drugs.

doug nicodemus said...

it must be tough...biology sucks...keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

Awwww ... sounds like someone needs a
hug
!

Ray Avito said...

I find that wallowing in it and taking it out on my family helps until they one-up me and show me what REAL crazy is...**thinly veiled hostility masquerading as harmless sarcasm**

screw you people said...

Sometimes when I am depressed I try to think of something nice that I could do for someone.
Other times I think of what an awful thing I just did.
Both those things work.
I just don't feel so bad about the second one; oh wait, was that. . .

DANIELBLOOM said...

dan, i created a clock that has 32 hours instead of 24. want to see pic? email me at danbloom in the gmail place

also the Sunday panel of Elvis and Aunty Em with Numbers and letters, wow, that was just wonder full. i loved it. i got em all but i missed on Wendy for peter pan, i said ANDY as first. OOPS

Anonymous said...

The story of your family is exactly the same for my own – I have mild chronic depression and everyone in the family was on antidepressants… except for my brother. But then, yes, even he finally gave way and ended up joining the rest of us. So, logically (but fallaciously) reversing the antecedent and consequent of the situation I predict that your brother may succumb yet. (Of course I'm omitting many details that affect my brother's situation…) Yes, after going through at least 20 years [or 35 actually] of depressive mood swings it was great to finally feel what "normal" was like for many people!