Saturday, October 17, 2009

Groovy Grass










(To make the image, like, all big and awesome, click the row of seats.)

Bizarro is brought to you today by Extremely Slow Dogs.

After this cartoon ran in the papers, a few emails arrived at Bizarro Headquarters from confused readers. They understood the joke just fine, they were just confused in general. One person wasn't sure why they had married the person they did, another was confused about when to file his estimated tax payments. I answered their questions as well as I could and thanked them for writing.

Meanwhile, this cartoon is more easily understood if you look carefully at the picture. A man is putting soil and grass seed into a washing machine and a woman is stacking squares of sod on top of the dryers at a place called "Bermuda Lawndromat." "Bermuda," of course, is a popular species of grass.

I'm off to Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary for a weekend fundraiser. The weather looks dreadful, cold with a possibility of snow. Not what we were hoping for, but we'll manage. Hope you enjoy your weekend, wherever you are. As always, stay out of jail and keep your teeth in your mouth.

8 comments:

doug nicodemus said...

safe trip...raise bundles

Terry said...

I had problems "getting" the joke because, in the laundromats I've been to, the dryers are stacked and the washers are in a single row. In that scenario, the woman would be washing the pieces of sod and the man would be shoveling dirt into the dryer. Either the appliances are arranged differently in Brooklyn or you should wash your clothing more often, or you should go to the laundromat with CHNW.

Björn from Sweden said...

Not knowing "Bermuda" is a type of grass, I figured it referred to the "Bermuda triangle" where things are said to disappear, just like my laundry tend to do...

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget that sodding grass is a huge environmental disaster that should be avoided, if at all possible.

1. People put an insane amount of chemicals put into a lawn. Pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers don't stay where people put them. These things pollute our water.

2. Speaking of water, keeping grass healthy requires tons of it. For comparison, if people left the native foliage instead of grass, no water would be needed.

3. Grass is a monoculture, which means that, as plants and animals adapt to it, we have to invent new and use more chemicals to keep them out.

Grass is ornamental, completely unnecessary in most cases, always harmful for the environment, a major allergen, and a complete waste of time. You know, if you're going to ruin the earth, I think vanity is one of the worst reasons.

Anonymous said...

I think that this cartoon would go perfectly also with the signs I have seen along my country road--"CLEAN DIRT" or "CLEAN DIRT WANTED".

Marcello said...

It's funny you mention it, because my first reaction was to wonder why is the guy throwing dirt in the dryer. I would consider the stacked machines to be dryers and the others to be washing machines.

darren said...

Bermunda, "of course" is also a place where my socks seem to go when I drop them in my laundry at home.

Now, if the woman was holding a single sock - this joke would either be doubly funny, or even more obscure to those who were horticulturally challenged.

Like me.

Shoshanah Marohn said...

I didn't get it at first because I thought the guy was putting coal in the dryer. I thought that he was just powering the laundromat like that, and the lady had green rugs she was washing. Hm... It's actually kind of almost funny from that perspective, even.