Saturday, July 18, 2009

Fairy Tales










(Engorge this cartoon with 60% more biggerness by clicking the prince.)

Today's episode of Bizarro is brought to you by What Is This?

When I was a teenager, I liked me some M.C.Escher, as most kids my age did. I still appreciate his work, but for teens he's like the rockstar of graphic artists. The words "Dude, he must have been trippin'," have been uttered myriad times in reference to his images.

I can tell you from an artist's perspective that he almost certainly was not "trippin" or he would not have been able to achieve the level of detail, realism, and accuracy that he is famous for. He was, however, probably socially retarded. Most people who achieve such precision do so by locking themselves in their room for decades and obsessing over their work. This often leads to unease in situations in which one would be required to interact with humans.

If you were to transport yourself back in time to Escher's studio while he was working on one of his famous future blacklight posters, and you were to express your admiration and ask him a deep question about his concepts and philosphy, he would likely say something like, "I enjoy crackers."

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and he'd say, "Dude, wanna get dosed?"

11 comments:

Tiago Capdeville said...

Not only many of your comics are great, but I also always enjoy reading your related posts.

Thank you for my daily Bizarro's dose!

mooP said...

Wow! Overall I enjoy your work, but this takes the cake! This is really funny, and really clever. You capture Escher's style and work very well, a wonderful homage!

DU said...

What are you talking about. I've never read anything that suggested Escher was not completely mentally normal (as far as artists go).

Unknown said...

Piraro: OT, but I thought I'd ask you since you're a well-spoken individual. What, in your opinion, is the most tactful way to convey the message that the majority of Democrats and Republicans are ignorant, mindless sheep? Just asking.

Anonymous said...

Hidden hat-bird fits right in.

I like it. I like it a lot.

Aniruddha Agarwal said...

Very nice and funny! They've made my day!

Keith said...

Man, you've got such a cool blog. I really like it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Loved the "Find the Hidden History Lesson" comic 7/19/09. May be a bit obscure for some........"End of the Line", anyone? MDERD

David said...

Brilliant! You sir are a genius :)

doug nicodemus said...

that is soooooo coooool

Jones Foyer said...

MC Escher had a wife and son, so he wasn't a complete loon or loner by that definition. I think he was just a meticulous craftsman, like a cutaway illustrator, who applies themselves to their trade.