Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bunny Blues

Bizarro is brought to you today by Rodents To Be Pitied.

When I was young, I never bought the idea that people in animal costumes were actually the character they were pretending to be. I sensed they were regular people in giant costumes and was appropriately frightened of them. My mother would take us to get our picture taken with the Easter Bunny and I'd cry.

This cartoon isn't about the Easter Bunny, but it goes to a pretty strange place with no apparent explanation. I like this kind of humor, that which portrays an extraordinary moment in time not easily explained. Fans of this sort of thing don't need an explanation, it's just funny that this poor sap is in a bunny costume and talking about his hard luck and country western songs. Others with more literal minds, may think the drunken bum is imagining it. That's fine, too.

The real answer is that the upside-down bird under the bench is the world's foremost avifaunal performance artist and he has orchestrated the scene for the benefit of passers by.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever since I found out about Fuzzies, or Furries, or whatever they're called (people who dress up in big doofy animal costumes to have sex), people in big doofy animal costumes have kind of creeped me out. Like clowns, only worse, because you can't see their faces at ALL. The "ick!" factor at Disneyland jumped about twentyfold.

Waldo said...

Mine... clowns. (I know it is not very creative childhood fear, but it is true...)

I would wonder (as a 3 year old) as to why they had to hide their faces behind makeup while invoking relentless violence with other grown men with faces hidden by makeup. Oh the violence... a hit here, a push there, and followed by a smashing of a pie in the gullet of another. I felt that at any second they would organize and turn their rage against the audience. And I would be a sitting duck in the back row...

Penny Mitchell said...

That picture of the crying kid with the Easter Bunny From Hell is going to give me nightmares.

RSJ said...

This cartoon reminds me of a trip to Disneyland I took during a vacation in CA years ago. (My friend's kids wanted to go; us grups just tagged along.)

Sure, there were a few good rides, like Pirates of the Hidden Cove, but most of it was the worst ticky-tacky fake paper-mache-looking mock-up of the real thing I've ever seen, including the poor stiffs sweating in the Goofy, Minnie and Mickey Mouse suits. Up close, those giant heads looked like some cratered pastel moon of a misbegotten planet imagined by Harlan Ellison on downers. I noticed about half the infants and toddlers began crying when the employees wearing the giant phony heads approached. An appropriate response, in my book, to Uncle Walt's demented Anaheim homage to commercialized American mythology and glitzy Hollywood crapola. I mean, you couldn't even get an alcoholic drink in the 'real' Wild West saloon, or a glass of wine at the 'authentic' French sidewalk cafe. What kind of monster builds a place like that?

ldisme said...

best blogged explanation evar!

Jezzka said...

someone once told me that there are two types of people in this world, those who see life as a tragedy and those who see life as a comedy. this comic i'd say is a nice blend of both worlds.

i was sad, then couldn't help, but giggle at the giant bunny suit; a roller coaster of emotions.