Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lip Brush With Fame

On occasion I get mistaken for Elvis Costello by people who don't really know what Elvis Costello looks like. They see glasses and a hat and figure I must be him. But now it will be an even more frequent nuisance, because Elvis is sporting a mustache. Damn that look-stealing limey. What next? A cigar?













He has even fashioned his hairline to look like mine, as evidenced in this photo of him doffing his hat at the end of Conan O'Brien's show last night.















For anyone interested in how to accurately tell the difference between myself and Costello in the wild, I offer this brief list of defining characteristics:

1. His hair is longer and wavy, mine is very short
2. The brims of his hats are larger than mine
3. His clothing is expensive, mine is mostly from resale shops and smells of cigars
4. He has Diana Krawl on his arm, I have CHNW (personally, I think I come out ahead on this one)
5. I am the one occasionally mistaken for Elvis Costello, he is the one never mistaken for me.

11 comments:

doug nicodemus said...

sorry about the incomplete posts i have been putting up...i need a proof reader..that last was

way to go dan...

does costello draw? i bet not..

KiltBear said...

My GAWD, that is such a beautiful picture of the two of you!

Anonymous said...

What we desperately need here is a "Hocus-Focus" comparison cartoon.

Chriss Pagani said...

In the top picture you actually look a bit like Jerry Stiller as I remember him from Seinfeld where he played the dad. Just say "hoochie mama!"

Seriously, Dan, with a mug like that how the hell did you get yourself a hot woman?

j/k ..glad to see you're out there having a good time... tell Elvis I said hi. :)

Unknown said...

Re your last point, I wouldn't know Costello if I tripped over him. But my wife & I were in Brooklyn last week and, who knows, if we had seen Costello strolling down 7th avenue we might have mistaken him for you, told him how much we enjoy Bizzaro & BizzaroBlog, shown him pictures of the family, asked him if he was free for lunch ...

Anonymous said...

As for #4, you are correct. You came out WAY ahead there.

patrick said...

I don't think Elvis has a mustache, I think he has an "attempted" mustache!

LaLaOrange said...

Dan's cartoons of himself always remind me of Artie Ziff from the Simpsons.

desarrazin said...

I always wondered why Diana Krawl looked depressed.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you meant KRALL. Unless there is another Diana on his arm too? I wouldn't complain about the spelling except that I have a weird name, and spelling becomes important at some point in the self-identity process.

But, as with the Elvis C confusion, you are well aware of this identity thing.

I have decided that I will carry a small ruler with me, and if I see someone I THINK is you, I will immediately measure his hat brim!

ChloƩ Jo said...

Genius.