Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day











(How big can you make this cartoon? Click the Wolverine's beer label and find out!)

Bizarro on this day is brang to youse by Power Urination.

Regular readers of this blog will recall that I posted this cartoon a few weeks ago beneath a link, but did not include the caption. (I'd link to that now, but I can't find it.) Anyway, I mentioned in that previous post that I thought it was regrettable that this cartoon would run on Father's Day, when it is about men who are estranged from their families. It was completely unintentional.

My Sunday cartoons are drawn about six weeks ahead, so sometime in mid-March I drew the cartoon, inked it, colored it, got it all ready to submit to King Features, then looked on my calendar to see what date was next. Turned out it was Father's Day but by that time it was too late to replace it with something less pointed.

So I'd like to apologize to any estranged fathers out there who found this cartoon to be painful. I got divorced in the mid-nineties when my daughters were 9 and 14, so I know it can be tough. On the bright side, it probably isn't a tough as being a huge, blue furry guy with a face like a baboon's ass. So count your blessings.

As for my own Father's Day, 2009 – My two daughters called and said, "HFD," I called my dad and said, "HFD," he said it back, then I went to work in my garden. For once, it only rained HALF the day, so it was a rousing success by recent standards and I enjoyed it thoroughly. No decorations, no gifts, no songs written for the occasion, no TV specials, no obligatory parties...my kind of holiday!

11 comments:

Cooder's Cranium said...

Am I mistaken in the understanding that the number above your name indicates the number of hidden symbols? If that is true on this comic you have an 8 and I clearly count 9 am I wrong?

David said...

Very cute and very clever.

Piraro said...

@Cooder'sCranium...
Yes, that's the meaning of the number. I looked again just now and only see 8. Are you counting the banana? It's not one of my recurring symbols. If not, let me know where you see 9. Maybe you're right.

Anonymous said...

I bet those are not your daughters. Just a hunch.

Unknown said...

as a fellow resident of the new york metro area, I agree that most of the success of this father's day was the lack of rain for most of the day. i'm sure that made a lot of dads happy.

Penny Mitchell said...

The "King Features" link is actually more scary than Disaster Girl, and Disaster Girl is pretty damn scary.

Scroll down until you get to the "She's a Red Wings fan," entry. I laughed and I laughed.

Anonymous said...

Love your garden! I just hope you don't have any poison ivy in there.

doug nicodemus said...

that is hysterical got to be a solid

hahahahaha

definitely refrigerator material...cathy even laughed...

way to dan

Nowax said...

Since I'm a gardener, I'd like to see photos of your (real) garden. Are there aliens, pieces of pie, etc. in it? Is in full of vivid colors with black outlines? Is everything composed of dots?

Cooder's Cranium said...

1. Alien upper right
2. dynamite right center picture frame
3. crown picture frame
4. upside down bird neon sign
5. heart poster
6. shoe just below banana
7. K2 jukebox label
8. Eye jukebox lower portion
9. rabbit upper left corner

Piraro said...

@ Cooder...
Now I see. You've entered into a gray area with #5, the anatomical heart. True, I do use it from time to time in cartoons, but have never considered it a recurring symbol. But the fact that I use it repeatedly pretty much makes it a recurring symbol by definition, so I have to give you that one.

I guess my thinking was/is that I've used it so infrequently and it isn't mentioned on bizarro.com's "secret symbols" page, so virtually no reader would know to count it, so I don't include it in the number. You're very observant, CC.