Saturday, December 20, 2008

Tiny Ink Bubbles


Bizarro is brought to you today by contributions from people like this.

Some readers of this "blog," as I like to call it, have expressed an interest in seeing some of my unpublished work. So today I bring you two pages from a sketchbook from 1997. I'd lost this book for years and worried mightily about it, but just discovered it in my basement a couple of weeks ago. Thank goodness.


Like most of my sketchbook drawings, these images were produced by starting out in the middle of the page somewhere, with no real idea in mind. I draw whatever comes to mind, then add to it until the page is filled. I guess you could call it stream of consciousness. They aren't meant to mean anything, of course, but these kinds of images are among my favorites that I've ever done. I still enjoy looking at them years later.

This particular sketchbook is very small, about 5"x7". To see the images full size, come to my house. Or just click on the images.

13 comments:

munchy365 said...

THAT CHAIR HAS GENITALS!

isee3dtoo said...

Yes, that chair has Genitals.

I was thinking how strange it must be to be a man named Genitals? However better a man named Genitals than a woman.

A dog named Genitals would be good, "Come Genitals Come" would get some strange looks. Whereas a cat name Genitals would still be just a cat.

Jezzka said...

did some one say genitals? wheeerrre? i don't see any chair genitals, the face of that mosquito peacock looks genital-ish.

it's like looking at three d art, where you have to stare at the drawing for hours with your eyes crossed and then the chair with genitals will come at you. uhm...i think i just made that sound more inappropriate than intended...

i am going to get a cup of coffee, anyone want one?

Jezzka said...

nevermind. i see the chair with genitals. ew.

isee3dtoo said...

Jezzka - the three d art posters you are talking about are actually wide-eyed posters. This is the opposite of cross-eyed 3d. Most people can easily cross their eyes by looking at their nose but to tell them to turn both eyes out is much harder. Also it is a just a slight movement out that brings the imagine into view. (One of my hobbies is taking 3d photos and viewing wide-eye images is still a pain though I can do it much faster with practice.)

Anonymous said...

After seeing these earlier drawings, all I can say is...you are clearly demented. I guess I should be glad that you're using your powers for good instead of evil.

Phronk said...

I love these. There must be deep psychological meaning in there somewhere.

P.S. How am I completely not seeing the chair's genitals? And is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Phronk said...

Oh, there it is.

I will not spoil the confusion for others.

Anonymous said...

very cool dan thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow. Intense. I would now count myself in the category of readers who want to see unpublished piraros.


It's silly, but I especially like the llama-ish creation in the second one, along with the angry mother (?) figure.

Shoshanah Marohn said...

These would make a good coloring book for the yungins, don't you think?

John R. Platt said...

Total awesomeness.

More, please!

CrazyVeganMom said...

I love these! And I hope you will be posting more of them.
Ok, so I guess there is something wrong with me, I still can't see the genitals! I keep staring at that chair, but ???