Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ageless Graffiti

Bizarro is brought to you today by the Alabama Gay Men's Chorale.

My friend, Richard Cabeza (best name ever) suggested an idea to me about a caveman art critic. I didn't use the idea exactly as he had envisioned it, but I liked the premise and particularly liked the fur suit the critic in his cartoon was wearing.

I've always found primitive cave art to be fascinating. It was the world's first graffiti. When visiting some Native American petroglyphs in New Mexico a few years back, I noticed that modern visitors had scratched their initials or name into the surrounding rocks, not necessarily damaging the ancient art, but adding their own touch on another part of the wall. This is, of course, illegal, as strongly worded signs inform you. Apparently, the trick with graffiti is age. If you get caught in the first few decades, you're a vandal. Get away with it for a few thousand years, you're a national treasure.

Regarding my rant about modern graffiti a couple of posts ago, I realize there are a lot of people who are fans of elaborate tagging. I don't mean to insult the fans of that genre or imply there is no skill involved in some of these images, it just isn't my cup of tea. Doesn't make it bad, just makes it not my favorite.

Some images, however, are just bad.

11 comments:

doug nicodemus said...

we went to the Bizzaro Bizaar at the San Francisco Museum in Golden Gate Park last Sunday..you were NOT there (or at least your stuff wasn't) they hold these things apparently in select cities (5 i think) around the country before christmas...you could make a killing...

cabeza said...

So it's official. This one gets a 10 in my book! Anyone who can carefully weave history and humor together in a single panel with 6 words or less to explain it gains my approval and then some. I salute you.

Anonymous said...

The caveman comic - last vestige of the cartoonist with no fresh ideas.

Anonymous said...

The comic critic - last vestige of a whiner with no fresh ideas.

Anonymous said...

Good one!

Anonymous said...

its funny because he used the same words julie used except he changed two words!

Anonymous said...

FYI, it doesn't really read as a fur suit. Not that it matters.

Unknown said...

I dunno. I read it as a fur suit. As in Life, Liberty and the Fursuit of Happiness.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is true --

Jeremy has been posting as "anonymous".

Cheers

Brad Reid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Avert Farm said...

i don't know if i can fully convey how good this comic is. i'll just say, you hit the nail on the head. and i got the fur suit.