Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Running With Mates

Today's Bizarro has been brought to you by the Intstitute for Ill-Considered Choices.

This has possibly been the most humorous presidential campaign in American history. Maybe the Franklin Peirce and Winfield Scott battle of 1852 was a real laugh riot, but as far back as I can remember (which was JFK vs Nixon, but I was too young to understand the jokes), this was by far the funniest.

Although John McCain is clearly smarter than W (I know, that isn't saying much), his gaffs have been stellar. Addressing a crowd of supporters as "my fellow prisoners," is undoubtedly one of the funniest Freudian slips a politician has ever made.



But the real comedy has come in the form of Sarah Palin, of course. You could not have scripted a more comical, less appropriate running mate if you tried. (Of course, the last time I said that was in 2000, when the GOP nominated W. and look how unfunny that turned out.) The most deft Hollywood screenwriter could not have gotten away with a character like her in a movie without offending audiences with the slapstick preposterousness of it. Thank god for Sarah Palin and thank another god for John McCain's poor campaign staff for choosing a publicity stunt over a qualified candidate. Not only did it nail the GOP coffin shut, it provided us with months of quality political satire. Much of it coming from Palin herself.

I pray she runs for president in 2012.

8 comments:

La Framéricaine said...

Hey Dan! I put up your "...the monster's are under Mommy & Daddy's bed." at Halfway To France. I just love it!

I'm gratified that you also perceived the Palin alternative as a (cynical) staff publicity stunt. When I heard and saw the news on that I actually felt very sorry for McCain and very happy for Obama/Biden.

Cross your eyes!

Penny Mitchell said...

6:43pm Mountain Time, and looking good so far.

I'm off to drink vast amounts of wine and hoot at the TV.

Please God, deliver the world from the Republicans!!!!!!!!!!!

marine_explorer said...

Despite all the fear buttons McCain's campaign tried to push, America saw the light and made history tonight. I am very proud of my country; we just grew up a little.

Mike Duffau said...

wow! I can't believe I'm still being talked about after all this time. haha, I'm not dead! There is no beef between Jeremy and I. That was all fabricated! Everybody's gotta opinion and I respect that.

isee3dtoo,
I see yous did some research on me. I really hope you dig my work. Stop by anytime, champ! Thanks for lookin' out.

Havin' been on much here...been away fightin' and writin'

ONWARD AND UPWARD...

God Bless!

SAYOTTE316 said...

Jeremy,

As far as you and barrack do you swallow.

Hey mike sorry to hear of your untimely death but great to see you back on.

doug nicodemus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
doug nicodemus said...

http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/happydays.htm

Music and Lyrics by J. Yellen and M. Ager]

So long sad times
Go long bad times
We are rid of you at last

Howdy gay times
Cloudy gray times
You are now a thing of the past

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again

Altogether shout it now
There's no one
Who can doubt it now
So let's tell the world about it now
Happy days are here again

Your cares and troubles are gone
There'll be no more from now on
From now on ...

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So, Let's sing a song of cheer again

Happy times
Happy nights
Happy days
Are here again!

b0b said...

"The most deft Hollywood screenwriter could not have gotten away with a character like [Sarah Palin] in a movie without offending audiences with the slapstick preposterousness of it."

I thought that Oliver Stone's caricature of Condi Rice (in "W") was right up there. It was offensive and actually undermined the believability of the story, IMHO.