Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Furless Snakes

Bizarro is brought to you today by The Dangers of Farsightedness.

Here's a pithy little cartoon about a homeless snake. The kind of snake I've drawn here is more like a constrictor, which I don't think actually care for pits, but drawing a tiny viper didn't seem right for the composition. I don't actually know much about snakes so feel free to educate me in the comments.

Also, I appear in the cartoon as the overly-hip hipster coming around the corner. Not my best (or most flattering) self portrait, but it works as another homage to Hitchcock.

Hey, here's something fun: I'm going to be doing some stage comedy and hosting at a movie premiere in LA soon. If you're in the area, come see me. The movie is a documentary about the cruelty of the fur industry, a subject I care a lot about, and both CHNW and I appear in the movie as interviewees. I haven't seen it yet, so I have no idea how we come off, but I'm hoping it is somewhere on the embarrassment scale below "devastating."

Below is the invitation poster. Read it, memorize it, print it out, then eat it. We can't afford to have this sort of thing fall into the wrong hands. Here's where all the cool kids are getting their tickets.

Click it to make it bigger and clearer. But then, you knew that.

12 comments:

Pneumatic Death said...

Err.. umm.. maybe I'm unclear on the concept of Premier, but the link you gave for tickets contains only showing in the past.

Pneumatic Death said...

Nevermind.. apparently I'm unclear on the concept of 6 > 5. (slithering off to flick my wounds)

JD said...

I feel for the person that had to take the photo of you in the limo. Funny though!

The Snake's Mommy said...

Your galpal The Snake's Mommy says this is funny in TWO ways. Some snakes live in pits. So pitless = homeless. But they also have heatpits -- heat sensors -- instead of a nose and cannot strike at live, warm food accurately without these pits. So pitless = blind. Both would be reason for being on the street with a cardboard sign.

And my geriatric legless one is doing fine, thank you for asking, but has become agoraphobic (see blog). Maybe that's more comedic inspiration for ya, Dan.

Cheers love.

Chriss Pagani said...

Aww, it doesn't have a pit to hiss in.

Amber Avines said...

Dan,

Thanks so much for continuing to use your celebrity to advocate for animals! I've met Shannon, the producer of Skin Trade, so I'm sure your interview in the film will be wonderful.

Hopefully, I can save enough money to buy me and my mom tickets for the premiere. Good luck with your hosting duties!

P.S. Since I always want to help fellow animal people, might I suggest you add a "like" button to your blog. This will help increase exposure and traffic to your blog. I wrote about how to add the button in one of my blog posts. The link is below, and let me know if you have questions. I'm happy to help. ^..^

http://wordsdonewrite.blogspot.com/2010/05/get-like-fest-going-on-your-blogger.html

ojeano said...

I don't need more convincing, but I'm likely to come to the LA movie to be supportive.

As for the cartoon, I didn't think about the pit issue at all, but after reading your comment I realize that even the persnickety species specific critics can't get you on that one because snakes have no armpits.

See you in LA (prob'ly). I will be not wearing fur and will bring a man who doesn't wear a toupe, just to be on the safe side.

DARG said...

Honestly, I didn't get this one. My head is on vacation in a gooey green place.

tsp said...

The hipster Dan in the background reminds me of the work of another cartoonist - R K Laxman - who often appeared as the elderly bald gentleman in his strips.

Piraro said...

@Amber Avines...Thanks for the tip. The instructions are clear enough but I can't find "Data:post:body" to save my life. Any tips?

Plan 9 Studios said...

Not to try and outdo causes, but I have to admit it's a hot button for me when animal rights groups think the best way to get our message across is through photos of mutilated and/or abused women. I know it's to grab attention, but being provocative and being misogynistic should be mutually exclusive. And rarely are.

That said, I hope the gig goes well. I've been veggie for over 18 years now and have never looked back.

Amber Avines said...

Hee hee! I just "liked" this post, Dan! I'm your very first "like" and firsts are SPECIAL--so always remember me, k? ;->