Friday, December 10, 2010

Piglet Pokey

Bizarro is brought to you today by The Magic of Ham.

Today's post features two old cartoons from the late 1900s, which I came across while searching for something else. I really like both of these cartoons because they take well-known topics and combine them in new, thought-provoking ways. Neither of them really mean anything, although they kind of seem like they might.

This is also the trick to great song lyrics. Take a song like "Losing My Religion" (or almost anything by REM) and try to figure out exactly what it means. It's relative nonsense, but you relate to it somehow and twist it into a personal meaning, almost subconsciously.

I'm not saying these cartoons take on a personal meaning for anybody, most people don't dwell on cartoons long enough, but it's fun to play with that edge. For me, that's what creativity is all about.

Even now, I'm not entirely sure what I mean by what I've just written, but it seems like it means something. I should also say that I don't eat animals anymore, I've been vegan since 2002, but at the time I wrote this Piglet cartoon the vegetarian message was not on my radar at all. It can have a hidden animal rights message if you want to apply one, but I was actually still a corpse eater when I drew it.

Regarding the Hokey Pokey Stew cartoon, I was not vegan when I wrote this cartoon, either, but was still not in the habit of eating human feet. So, no, this was not intended as an anti-cannibalism message, although you can turn it into one now if you wish. Whatever that means.

I hope you have enjoyed reading these rambling paragraphs eight times more than I have enjoyed typing them. Until tomorrow, my friend...

.

10 comments:

Chris said...

So I clicked on an ad on your blog for "Bad Idea" T-shirts. They have one which says "PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals" and another one which has Uncle Sam pointing and saying "I want you to speak English". Hmmm...

said...

Lesson learned~ DO NOT open "corpse eater" while having your regular vegetarian meal.

Elliott said...

I LOVE the Hokey Pokey stew - I actually had that one up in my cubicle several jobs ago. Thanks for the repost, I'd almost forgotten about it.

Elliott said...

Oh, and I nearly wept with joy at the 'corpse eater' photo. Because that's how I roll.

Unknown said...

My 2 cents. It should be captioned "Piglet" with Piglet saying: "To be or not to be? But that's such a very big question for such a very small animal."

Pascal Kirchmair said...

I like the Hamlet-Piglet-cartoon, it´s a very good idea.

Prospero said...

While a still-practicing omnivore (or as you so gruesomely put it it, "corpse eater"), I respect your decision to deprive your body of necessary proteins which it is designed to consume. Still, you can't tell me that you don't really miss the delicious taste of a really fine medium-rare burger or a slow-cooked pot-roast with all the trimmings.

said...

Omniart, thank you for that. Perfect!

Piraro said...

@Prospero...there are no proteins in meat that one cannot get from plants. Nothing there that we are "designed" to eat. The only thing meat provides that we "need" is B12, and the only reason we don't get that from plant food is because we wash our food so thoroughly.
As far as missing the taste of it goes, I also miss having sex with high school cheerleaders in the back seat of my car, but gave it up when I became an adult.

Elliott said...

Wait...I was supposed to stop having sex with cheerleaders????