Saturday, November 28, 2009

Monsters Ink











(Click this image to make it big, clear and magically delicious)

Bizarro is brought to you today by Oh Migosh.

The thing I like most about this cartoon is the illustration of the monster. I think that frame makes the cartoon worthwhile – if I'd "phoned in" some crappy, average-looking monster behind a bush it would have fallen flat. Sometimes a gag stands on its own no matter how it is drawn, sometimes the drawing makes the gag.

I'm not big on monster movies, but when I do watch one, nothing takes me out of the moment faster than a bad monster. But sometimes the monster is so bad it becomes good again. You're no longer enjoying the movie for the reasons it was made, but you're still enjoying it.

The film for which the following trailer was made looks stellar.



And this film would be priceless even if the monster were not a mutant from Sesame Street.

12 comments:

ojeano said...

That's (yours) one great monster. His eye is the window to his soul and the hand on the knee, the innocent curiosity (but innocence to him may be another thing altogether...) Also the look in the child's eye - well this one is perfection.

Ray Avito said...

Netflix calls The Giant Claw a classic nail-biter. I will from here on out question their descriptions, but I will certainly be adding that to my queue.

Mr. L. Inspiron said...

Dan, the thing *I* like about the cartoon is the false perception of risk by the husband. It's just like the looney right seeing boogeymen everywhere. And sometimes THEY'RE RIGHT!!! Just like in this cartoon. It's hilarious.

charlie

Duane said...

Funny...I've actually seen "The Giant Claw," and I recommend it for anyone willing to replace their exercycle ab workout tapes for the deep belly laughs this movie delivers.

Anonymous said...

"It" kind of put me in mind of Sid and Marty Krofft's Sigmund the sea monster.

Hermite said...

I totally cracked up when I saw that cartoon. I, myself, have been terrified by noises on windows that my parents assured me were only branches. NOW I know the truth.

Maybe it was The Giant Claw, since that trailer stated outright it couldn't be destroyed. So it must still be out there somewhere, hatching out Tiny Claws, scratch, scratch, or reeit, reeit (my WV, ha)

Loved your monster though.

Dave said...

First thing that came to my mind was that the monster reminded me of those of Gahan Wilson.

rob said...

"And this film would be priceless even if the monster were not a mutant from Sesame Street..." and Frank Zappa hadn't used it as the prime example in the intro to his ode to the joys of cheap sci-fi (see Cheepnis from "Roxy and Elsewhere").

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

haha great

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to say that the free newspaper Metro Express here in DC cut their comics down to 2 and yours is not one of them. I'll send them a scathing email.

Justin

Piraro said...

Thanks, Anonymous Justin... Reader complaints are the only things that matter to editors in these situations. I appreciate your efforts!

drawingonthemoon said...

Perfect....bone chilling hilarity