Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Open Door

Today's Bizarro may not be reproduced in any manner – electronic, mechanical, oragami, mime, Kabuki, opera or interpretive dance – without express written consent, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in the original text of the Bhagavad Gita.

People write to me all the time to ask if they can use my cartoons for everything under the sun: blogs, presentations, web sites, advertising, books, newsletters, T-shirts, tattoos, you name it. A lot of cartoonists are super uptight about reprints and don't allow anything without attaching big fees. I, on the other hand, am the Zen Groovy Love Doctor of reprints and have very simple rules:

The answer is "yes, you may" if:

1. You ask nicely.

2.It is a not-for-profit use like your personal website or a charity thing. As long as your website or your charity do not stand for something I oppose, like electing John McBush for president or dairy products.

3. You have a for-profit use like a book or advertisment, but have asked permission and paid a fee. The fee is based on the size of the use. Tiny self-published book/tiny money – big international publication from a major publishing house/bigger money.

4. You have members of my family in your custody and threaten them bodily harm if I do not relent.

The answer is "no, sorry" if:

1. You are a jerk.

2. Your usage promotes something I don't agree with, like (see #2 above.)

3.You have had members of my family in your custody and threatened them bodily harm but I managed to rescue them.

Short answer, if you want to use one of my cartoons for any reason – from a T-shirt to a mural on the side of your cargo ship – just ask me. My electronic door is always open.

12 comments:

Craig Zablo said...

Well, I always thought that you were a pretty cool guy. Now I know you're a nice, decent one as well... and I don't even want to use a cartoon!

PS - Excellent photo choice for the word "rescue."

Anonymous said...

Then I hope my belated query about if I can still use one of your comics and maybe more later in my non-profit vegan blog? :-)

http://lazyvegan.wordpress.com/2008/07/09/does-humane-killing-exist/

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

craig zablo said...
"Well, I always thought that you were a pretty cool guy. Now I know you're a nice, decent one as well... and I don't even want to use a cartoon!

PS - Excellent photo choice for the word 'rescue.'"

+1

Anonymous said...

+2!!

Anonymous said...

Agree with Craig's comments except for not wanting your cartoons. Have used your cartoons in a non profit blog.

Anonymous said...

I think your cartoons would look awesome on the side of a milk carton.

Who can say no to ice cream?

Unknown said...

Dude, you are so cool
I LOVE reading your cartoons everyday, and your blog has opened a whole new world of loveliness

keep on being awesome!!
*besitos y amor*

HollyBerry said...

@anonymous-- i'm pretty sure the author of this blog can say no to ice-cream... you did read this post, right? unless i'm mistaken, ice-cream is a dairy product.

i use your comics (sometimes) on my blog, but nobody reads it. basically i like to talk you up to myself. at least i know i won't disappoint myself.

CrazyVeganMom said...

Wow, I am sorry. I have used a couple of your comics on my vegan blog, but always with a link back to your site, so I didn't think to ask permission (I am a bit of a dope when it comes to netiquette.) I am really sorry and will remove them if you want. I promise they have been used for only good and to enforce the belief that you are a comic god who should be worshipped.
http://lickmeimvegan.blogspot.com/
Thanks,
T

Piraro said...

crazy vegan mom...No problem, don't worry about it. If someone is trying to do something good and doesn't think to ask, it's fine by me. I only draw the line with malicious intent or using my work to raise money without cutting me in. Thanks for the confession. :)

CrazyVeganMom said...

Thank you!
T

Anonymous said...

A cartoonist who has heard about Bhagvad Gita - that's totally new.

Its very practical book if you read and understand it.

You know what you need to satirise - those crazy yuppie centers all over the Western world promising you benefits of Yoga and charging a fortune for it.

Yoga is for all and not a money-making ancient machine.

Its ironical how people think that materialism will give them the Salvation from material problems.

And Yoga is supposed to be an exercise for the Soul - the mind and body conditioning is only to prepare the weak to endure penance.

But well that's not funny I guess :-(