Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Prehistoric Holiday Fun

Bizarro is brought to you today by the fine folks at Prehistoric Autos of Hollywood.

Judging by the emails I got, this was a very popular cartoon. I'm sorry to say I didn't write it, it's another idea from my strange friend, Derek. Sometimes I change his ideas a bit to make a cartoon, but this one is pretty much just as he wrote it. My only contribution is the drawing. Many thanks to Derek for his continuing input.

Today is St. Patrick's Day. All over America there are drunks wearing various forms of green, from everyday items of clothing to vomit. I'm partly Irish on my mother's side, but haven't celebrated St. Pat's Day in many years. I used to love this holiday in elementary school, when we made great sport of inflicting painful pinches on the poor slobs who forgot to wear green that day. My mom, who is a notoriously good sport with more than her share of a wacky streak, would let my 9 sisters and I draw a green shamrock on our cheek with what we called in those days a "Flair pen." Seems tame by today's standards, but in the Catholic school I attended in the sixties, that was as outrageous as going to school in drag. Oh, the memories.

My first inkling that it was St. Patty's today came this afternoon while on one of my rare forays outside Bizarro International Headquarters in Brooklyn when I saw a man in a green Scottish getup carrying a bass drum with a big green shamrock on it. I'm not sure what kilts have to do with the Irish, but he seemed to be having fun.

CHNW and I are celebrating quietly at home in our traditional manner, painting potatoes green and hiding them in tailpipes around the 'hood.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! Because he uses his legs to drive! What a riot!

Anonymous said...

If his upper torso was less defined, he could be a typical rider on the Tour.

Anonymous said...

Hey anonymous did you notice the writer, writer.

doug nicodemus said...

i think it would be funnier if you had him in costume but it is pretty funny as it is hahaha

Anonymous said...

"KUDOS TO THE FUNNIEST BIZARRO EVER"

MY KIDS LOVED IT

derekamalo said...

bloggers,

this was my number 17 on my top 20 jokes all time list....in the future is number 16 ill mention when it appears.

i just threw my version under my post..i wouldnt of but dan mentioned it so its okay

Sep. payback was 19.


Not for nothing dan but getting these comments and emails and not even having to "PATHETICALLY".. blog ask for them unlike others..

Anonymous said...

Derek would you be refering to my friend Ces

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...Kindred spirits with one of my heroes: Believe it or not (your choice) I wore top to bottom, including face paint and wig, green drag to Catholic school (in the early 80s). Sister Hairy Warts of St. Dreg's (any attendees who read this blog should be able to identify/ remember)suspended me for a week. Oh, the memories.