Monday, March 22, 2010

The Game or Life

Bizarro is brought to you today by Spirituality.

The seed for this cornstalk of a cartoon came from my good friend, Richard Cabeza. We call him "Dick," and sometimes translate his last name into English. But that's not the point.

The point is that I grew up in Oklahoma with fundamentalist Christians who believed that the popular Ouija Board game could be used by The Devil to control you. Grown adults at church would preach to other grown adults that they should not let their children play with this kind of "occult" toy and if they had one in the house, it should be burned. These were otherwise normally functioning adults capable of operating motor vehicles and holding down office jobs.

I'm guessing that in those households in which the Ouija Board had been removed, The Devil just switched to Scrabble. If you're even a moderately clever supernatural force of evil, I'm sure you can think of other ways to get bad ideas into kid's heads and damn their souls to eternal torment. TV news, movies, video games, rap music, the Old Testament, the world is full of violence, hatred and prejudice. Who needs board games?

4 comments:

Chriss Pagani said...

Well I totally agree with those people; you shouldn't let your kids play with the Ouija board. There's a devil in there for sure: It's the one named "Superstition." And we don't need any more of that nonsense in the world.

Cute cartoon, for sure - I really like the art. However, I'm saddened when I think about the fact that millions of people believe in this stuff. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Hey, our kids need to be protected from this kind of stuff. Ghosts, witches and demons are everywhere! And what's to become of your children when they go off to college and you're not around to sprinkle holy water on them at bedtime? They need to be prepared. Make a bag with a black cat's bone (or a piece of licorice, if you're vegan), a chicken feather, and some gobo root, and tie it around your child's neck before he or she goes off to Harvard to study microbiology and astrophysics.

June said...

It was the same in Nebraska. When I think back on all the things they tried to teach me it's a wonder I can think at all (thank you, Paul Simon).

Janta said...

I remember a very popular (one-off) seminar for young people at our Catholic Church, designed to inform and warn us of the evils of occult practices. Unintentionally, I'm sure, it was pretty much an introduction to all the different practices out there, such as Ouija boards, playing Led Zeppelin records backwards, automatic writing, listening to white noise for messages, etc. Some of those I had not heard of before going to the workshop, and I also noticed that there were some teens there who never usually showed up in church, not in ours, at least. I guess that one backfired...