Thursday, December 31, 2009

Gargrantuan Glutes

Bizarro is brought to you today by Fashion Concerns.

I have to admit that this is one of my favorite cartoons in a while. The sheer ridiculousness of it still tickles me after all these weeks. (I write/draw cartoons about 6 weeks before they are published.)

Women have long been worried about the size of their butts and since that is where many women gain the most weight, it makes sense. When I was a teen and young adult (sounds like a church pamphlet) women regularly worried about their butts being too big. But around the turn of the century, along comes this fashion craze for big butts, with the likes of Kim Kardashian and J-Lo, and all of a sudden an ample amount of junk in the trunk is desirable.

Everyone has their own wiring and mine does not happen to include a circuit for attraction to ample booties, but I can't help but wonder if this latest rambunctious rump craze is truly new or if lots of men have always been attracted to large buttocks but have stayed in the closet about it. (Black guys have always been open about it, but the stereotype was that white men preferred smaller cabooses.) Clearly, I just don't have enough honest discussions with my guy friends about what turns them on.

Just as in yesterday's blog, again I say, "Hmmm".

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!

I saw some guy's bragpost of how his wife, looking in the mirror, said "Do I look fat?" to which he promptly replied, "Do I look stupid?"

doug nicodemus said...

does the misses have junk in her truck...i agree i thought this was really funny but not laugh out loud funny....how does that happen...

Anonymous said...

Speaking as white guy, I'm with Robert Crumb on this. Big butts rock... if you're doing it right.

Colinski said...

I've always enjoyed ample rump (and certainly before J-Lo hit the scene), and I'm as white as they come.

Anonymous said...

The most talented artist I've ever known once said "I don't much care what a woman looks like so long as she's got a nice big butt." I think R. Crumb has always been in this camp too. Hey, women are SUPPOSED to be rounder than men!

donna said...

We wouldn't have them is SOMEBODY hadn't liked them!

ojeano said...

The expression on the man's face says it all. That question is always a trap; there is no correct answer. For this reason, I never ask a man this question. (It is safe to ask a female, it's an unwritten law we have among ourselves).

When I was a teenager, my dad overheard my mom asking me if a new dress made her butt look big (she thought it did and was thinking of returning it). I said yes, take it back, that dress doesn't do you justice.

My dad, in the next room, quietly called me over and in a caring, steady tone said, "if a woman ever asks you if she looks fat, it doesnt' matter what you think - say she looks beautiful."

I tried to explain the unwritten law, but he stood his ground. In his eyes I saw shellshock - exactly as captured in your cartoon. The horror...

gmcfly said...

When you said "turn of the century," I thought you were going to talk about bustles.

Scoakat said...

Smaller, yet with mature curves = Perfect.
But I agree with the first (anonymous) commenter's view as well..

Anonymous said...

My gym has one of the big ass fans mentioned! lol

Anonymous said...

What about the so-called Hottentot Venus?

http://www.b12partners.net/wp/2007/04/04/bootylicious/

GAlcidesS said...

Nice cartoon!
He he he.