Saturday, October 9, 2010

Kryptonite Bulb Seuss


















Bizarro is brought to you today by TONIGHT!

Wow, what a super bonus fun pack I have for you today! Our first illustration is an old header panel that I found in the archives. These things appear on the left side of my Sunday comic in some papers, so most people never get to see them. I also used this character (Psychic Salmon) on my website for a goofy fortune-telling page. Check it out here.

Now let's talk about this groovy Superman cartoon. I love it. The self-congratulatory nerd who has overcome Superman with his 99 cent phone app makes me laugh. And laughing is good. At the comedy gig I did last night I met an actress who is starring in the strange, controversial horror film, The Human Centipede, and has therefore been called upon to go to fantasy and comic conventions to publicize it. Some of her fans are even creepier than the movie.

This Edison cartoon garnered an email from a reader who said that Edison did not invent the light bulb, Tesla did. I know that Tesla was a genius on Edison's level, perhaps beyond, worked for Edison for a time and invented some things that Edison not only took credit for but never paid for, then went on to an illustrious career of his own. But I'm not sure the light bulb was one of those things. The electric motor that we still use all over the world today was Tesla's, that's all I can say for sure. If I had the stamina and motivation to look it up on Wikipedia, I could probably find the answer but it is Saturday morning and I'm feeling lazy. Either way, it's a cartoon not a history lesson, so Edison works for my purposes.

Lastly, is this odd Sunday cartoon from 2000, wherein I parody Seuss. I've been a huge fan of Dr. Seuss since I was learning to read and had a blast concocting this poem and drawing the characters. I thought you might enjoy having a look. If I was wrong, please don't say anything. It might hurt my feelings.

Have a weekend of grandeur, my friends.

12 comments:

Loren Lockman said...

Love it Dan! Great stuff as always. As a huge Seuss fan myself, I enjoyed your parody complete with Seussian illustrations.

Hermite said...

Great Seussing there. I love the hippo who sang with the Who. Totally cracked me up.

Rainbows and unicorns to you, too.

Debbie said...

I love the Dr. Seuss cartoons. I read them all as a kid. Thanks.

James said...

Dan, not to open up an old wound after 10 years, but Seuss is actually pronounced "soice", rhyming with "choice."

monsterzero said...

gloryoskie! the suess piece is priceless. horton hippo & the who would make a great t-shirt. x-large, please.

Unknown said...

Before I even clicked the link about her fans, I knew, I tell you, I KNEW it would be a pic of the painted guy. I just thank you for not using the pic I was thinking of/was traumatized by years ago.

dooney and bourke outlet said...

Thank you for sharing, you're just for me is very useful. I really like your post.

Pashupa said...

Tesla did not invent the lightbulb - the controversy was that Tesla invented radio and Marconi got credit for it. Edison, on the other hand, was pushing for DC electricity and Tesla's AC (promoted by his financier Westinghouse) was more easily used over long distances. Edison tried to show AC was dangerous by electrocuting cows, not very vegan. Tesla was a vegetarian, although perhaps more out of eccentricity than ethicality. Tesla was certainly more genius than Edison, and may have had a light bulb go off in his head when Edison was still seeing gas lamps.

ojeano said...

Dan: No hurt feelings for you; you were right.

James: n'uh uh! Now pardon me for I must drive away in my Rolls Ruse.

Anonymous said...

GR8 "long arm physician"

Howza 'bout: HUGE HAMMED HANDED
PROCTOLOGIST

If you need a a model --- I've got
one.
KS
Age 68

Anonymous said...

Love the Suess riff. Ya oughtta do a book of those.

Richard De Angelis said...

Edison also electrocuted an elephant, and captured the execution on film.